Farnham Castle, Farnham

Watching brief and resistivity survey by D Graham of SyAS during topsoil removal to create additional car parking spaces. The site lies outside the area of the former (now filled in) inner bailey ditch, and no features were detected. A number of finds were recovered during the topsoil removal, however, including a number of musket and pistol balls, and three powder caps from gunpowder flasks. An incursion of parliamentary forces into the castle courtyard occurred on 26 November 1642, with the royalist garrison surrendering as a result. It is suggested that the artefacts recovered date from this action. (405)
Year: 
2007
ID: 
102
NGR: 
SU837473
Periods: 
Borough: