Historic building recording by K Harrow and watching brief by S Price of ASE. The building is an example of a Board School constructed in the latter part of the 19th century, with a contemporary teacher’s house. The school was enlarged c 1900 with the addition of a large north-west range, and modifications and extensions to the original building. A number of ancillary buildings were constructed to the west between c 1900 and 1935. By the late 1960s/early 1970s, the school had transferred to a site immediately to the south, and the original school building became an Adult Education Centre and Day Centre. The watching brief revealed an air-raid shelter within the southern section of the project area, at the corner of Farningham Road and Croydon Road. The shelter was a sunken, cast-in-place concrete structure featuring a staggered entrance along a flight of steps flanked by blast walls, and a single ventilation pipe to the rear.