16th century

48-54, High Street, Bagshot

Further work on site was carried out by G H Cole for Surrey Heath Group of SyAS. A further length of a ditch seen in 1983 was Located; it contained several sherds of grass or chaff-tempered pottery. Also found was evidence for a well-preserved timber post and plank building of AD 1250 to 1350 replaced by a late 14th century post-built structure (partially seen in 1984/85). A complete wooden barrel, set in puddled clay, was thought to underlie the levels dated 1250-1350, and beneath it was found a complete wooden bowl. More information was gained about the 17th century tavern (?

5-7 Holloway Hill, Godalming

Excavation by R J Poulton for SCC (and County Engineer), in conjunction with dismantling of 16th century building for the Weald & Downland Museum, revealed shallow foundations for the timber building with levelling to accommodate the slope of the hill. Only 16th century pottery was found in the floor levels. A layer of 12th century pottery was found at the northern end of the site, apparently relating to occupation on the High Street frontage. (246)

North Park Farm, Bletchingley

Excavation by R J Poulton for SCC, Hepworth Minerals & Chemicals and HBMC in advance of sand quarrying involved the stripping of almost lha. A scatter of mid Saxon pottery was found, but no features. cAD 1200 a hall house with circular tile-on-edge hearth and associated timber buildings was constructed. In the early 14th century the hall was replaced by a large stone-built structure with angle buttresses. This building continued to stand but a new hall with two-storied wings (one with a cellar) was built c1400, and linked to a square kitchen.

56 High Street, Bagshot

Excavation by G H Cole for SHAHT and Surrey Heath BC in advance of redevelopment. Waterlogged remains of a timber building provisionally dated to 1300-1350 were found, cut by a fence line and then by a massive post-built structure dated to the early 16th century. This was followed by the artificial raising of the land and the construction of a stone building of c1550-1640 dated by pottery, glass, etc thought to indicate a drinking house. The site was then unoccupied until the mid-late 18th century when the cottages recently demolished were constructed.

2-12 Clarence Street, Staines

Excavation and site observation by P M G Jones for SCC and McKay Securities in advance of redevelopment examined a site at the confluence of the Thames and the Colne (as it existed from the late RB to the end of the Medieval period). Prehistoric peats and clays were found, cut by a late 1st or early 2nd century RB ditch containing leather offcuts and articles; any other RB levels must have been destroyed by later flood action .

24-36 Bell Street, Reigate

Excavation by D W Williams for SCC, London & Metropolitan PLC and Reigate & Banstead BC of sites beneath the former showrooms of Reigate Garage. On the southern site there was little evidence for medieval activity except for an area of heat-reddened brickearth and associated shell-tempered pottery. The site was possibly cultivated until the late 16th century when a building was constructed of which fragments were identified between modern disturbances. This was probably a millhouse.

22 High Street, Reigate

Sections parallel and at right angles to the High Street, behind 22 High Street, were recorded by D W Williams for HAG. The site backs onto the castle. Medieval deposits with 13th century pottery had been sealed by almost 1.5m of yellow sand. Part of a well was also recorded. It is suggested that the sand layer represents upcast from ditch digging at the castle, and that therefore this side of the High Street was not built up before the 16th century. (241)

Hog's Back

Location of Armada beacon suggested by M J Alexander in contrast to location proposed in SyAC 78, 1987, 103-8 by F Kitchen. (231). Supported by G Robinson. (232)


Subscribe to RSS - 16th century