Site watching by L Le Monde followed by excavation by R J Poulton for SCC and Esso Petroleum Ltd in advance of redevelopment. A Saxon cemetery was partially excavated, producing burials in two groups. The first was of 17 pagan Saxon inhumations of the 6tir--7th centuries with grave goods including two spearheads, a bone comb and a cowrie shell. The second group was a number of more careless burials with evidence suggesting a late Saxon execution site. (208)
Surrey Archaeological Society;Surrey County Archaeological Unit
Excavation by M G O'Connell for SyAS, SCC, Conoco UK, 130 MC and many other sponsors to rescue the site from damage by vandals using metal detectors, who were found to have destroyed an area of some 300m5. The foundations of a Romano-Celtic temple of the usual double square pattern were discovered, and the building located in 1979 was further examined. They were probably contemporary. The temple post-dated a black layer, provisionally thought to contain material of the mid 1st to mid 2nd centuries, with which were associated a number of items of bronze priestly regalia (figs 1, 2).
Clearance after tree loss in 1987 storm observed by D J Field, D W Williams, D G Bird and others. No finds were noted but the conditions were difficult. Geophysical survey was later carried out by S P Dyer for SCC and HBMC and various anomalies were noted. This work was followed by the excavation of three trenches by R J Poulton to provide information on which site management decisions could be based. Two trenches on sloping ground produced nothing of interest; the third, on the top of the hill, revealed IA and RB pottery and features including an IA ditch running approximately east-west.
Survey of the estate by S Dyer of SCAU, with volunteers from the SyAS, for SCC’s Countryside Management Division. A variety of earthwork features, including lynchets, ridge-and-furrow, hollow ways, boundary banks, quarries, sawpits etc were recorded, indicating that the site was largely used for arable from the medieval period until the 19th century, when the land became increasingly used for grazing and plantations.
Report on a wall painting revealed during renovation works. The paintings were recorded by G Pattison of SCAU and P Gray of SyAS. The building itself appears to be 14th century in origin, with a 16th century rebuild. The paintings were revealed on two walls of a downstairs room and probably represent 16th and 17th century decoration, possibly relating to the building’s use as an inn. (317, 321)
Community excavation by SyAS and SCAU, under the direction of R Poulton, of the Scheduled moated site. Foundations belonging to the medieval manor, including part of the great hall, were uncovered, and coins recovered indicate that the site was established by the early 13th century. The property was later occupied by Lady Margaret Beaufort before her son, Henry VII, decided in 1503 to develop the site into a palace. Evidence of this period was revealed in the form of foundations of an oriel window of the new great hall, begun in 1508.
Watching brief by G Pattison of SCAU and A and D Graham of SyAS during internal alterations to the north transept, choir and crossing. Evidence for both in-situ and disturbed burials was recorded beneath the floor, in the form of vaults, gravestones and disarticulated, disturbed bone. The bases of the choir arch were also exposed, but no evidence was revealed of the remains of the earlier structure, noted in 2003 observations in the nave.
Watching brief by G Pattison of SCAU and D and A Graham of SyAS during alterations. A number of burial vaults and inhumations were recorded below the church floor, most of which was lifted and re-laid. Evidence for the remains of a pre-12th century church was also recorded, in the form of wall footings and truncated floor deposits.