Evaluation by K Anker of OA. Historic sources indicate that the house was once surrounded by a double moat in the medieval period, and evidence for the innermost of which was revealed in the form of a large, deep negative feature. The early deposits within the feature suggested that casual infilling began with the disposal of medieval material possibly related to a former property on the site, with the later sequence suggesting more concerted infilling from the 17th century onwards. The features were apparently finally filled and lost to view during works to extend the existing house in 1913. A programme of historic building recording by T Fletcher of OA indicated that the areas of the property subject to development proposals were largely of relatively modern date, and therefore of little significance with regard to the overall historical development of the structure.