Watching brief by T Munnery of SCAU during construction of an artificial pitch on and adjoining the Scheduled Caesar’s Camp, following evaluation in 2008. The design of the pitch was changed after the evaluation to maximise the preservation in situ of deposits indicated to be present, with the majority of the impact of the development not extending below the subsoil.
Evaluation by T Munnery of SCAU revealed a prehistoric (probably late Neolithic or Bronze Age) pit, pottery of Iron Age date, and a section of an inhumation containing the lower half of a human skeleton of Saxon date. The surface of a possible linear feature was noted to be cut by the inhumation. The feature, and the majority of the inhumation were not excavated, but a whetstone and iron knife lying close to the skeleton pelvis were removed. A subsequent excavation revealed a total of 18 inhumations.
Evaluation by T Munnery of SCAU revealed a number of features which, with the exception of a pit or posthole that could be of Neolithic date, were dateable to the Bronze Age. The features comprised ditches, pits and postholes and were concentrated within the southern corner of the site, and indicates settlement or a focus of activity within this area. Residual finds of Mesolithic to medieval date were also recovered, but none were associated with a contemporary feature or in a concentration.
Salvage work and excavation (1978) by D.M. Longley and S.P. Needham for SyAS and DOE of a site discovered by D.M. Barker revealed two major levels: Neolithic sealed by flood deposits on which was a Later BA site associated with timber piles forming a waterfront. There were many finds including two polished axes, much LBA pottery and bone and a possible wooden cup. 'Environmental' samples of major importance were recovered. (152) (Current Archaeol 6 262-7)
Topsoil stripping observed by M G O’Connell and R J Poulton for SCC, DoE and British Airports Authority revealed various features; a (probable) LBA pit was recorded in detail. At TQ 053 746 fresh cursus sections were recorded in pipeline and road construction.
A probable Neolithic site identified from a flint scatter recorded independently by R L Ellaby and D W Williams and D J Field with members of the LTRG. A thin scatter of flints continued south-east to TQ 205 537.
Beginning of major excavation by M G O’Connell for SCC, Hall Aggregates (Thames Valley) Ltd and DoE with assistance from the Manpower Services Commission via the Community Task Force. Initial work concentrated on the cursus in the north-east corner of the field.
Fragment of Neolithic polished chert axe found in fieldwalking by Haslemere Group of SyAS and reported by I R Turner. (197). Nine other possible Neolithic flints were found in the same general area.
Large-scale excavation by M G O'Connell for SCC, Hall Aggregates (Thames Valley) Ltd, HBMC, and the Community Task Force. Neolithic cursus ditches recorded in detail in several places, also probably LBA field boundaries and large pits (7 wells), some with waterlogged wood remains. The supposed `henge', tentatively identified on aerial photographs, was found to be an ill-defined probably Saxon feature.
8th and 9th seasons of excavation by D G Bird for SCC and SyAS. In the 8th, work concentrated on the probably early post-medieval building previously identified. Three sides only could be located, marked by rubble and clay foundations. It overlay a ditch full of medieval pottery. A magnetic date for the earliest hearth associated with the medieval building previously identified was received from A Clark: approximately AD 1270-1310. A few sherds of Neolithic or LBA pottery were found, not in context, (206)