Surrey County Council

Moor Lane Farm Barn, Moor Lane, Woking

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC to determine the historic development of the building and its possible future use recorded a nine-bay, single-aisled barn constructed in four phases. The first phase is a four-bay threshing barn with an aisle, punctured by a midstrey (gabled) porch, a butt-purlin and rafter roof with inclined queen posts, is most likely of late 17th or early 18th century date. The second phase, of a similar construction, extended the barn by one bay to the east in the late 17th or early 18th century.

Cernes Farm, Starborough Road, Lingfield

Building appraisal by M Higgins of SCC recorded a three-bay house with a hip and gablet to the north and smoke-blackened timbers showing evidence of a pre-1540 open hall house. A clasped side purlin roof and high eaves suggest this may be a late example for the period and of possible Hampshire influence. Halvings in the roof space provide evidence for a smoke louvre. It is considered that it was either constructed as a ‘boot’ hall, with the middle bay undivided from the open hall bay, or a divided middle bay to allow a passageway between doors.

The Old Vicarage, 183 Westhall Road, Warlingham

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC of a T-shaped brick-built vicarage of two storeys and attics with five window bays to the front elevation. A special feature of the building is the pilasters applied to the front elevation and its left-hand flank. It has unusually long first-floor sash windows. Internally there is a very good collection of shutters to the windows and the original plan layout remains substantially unaltered. Manning and Bray (2, 340) thought it was built as a parsonage house by Harman Attwood who died in 1676.

42 and 44 High Street, Bletchingley

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC of an urban building within a tight plot. It was brick fronted with a studwork rear elevation over a brick ground floor. The building is of two storeys with a stone cellar and attics in a staggered butt-purlin, butt-rafter roof. The exterior has a fine Flemish Bond facade with blue headers. Number 42 has cruciform windows in the original openings; 44 has been remodelled but straight joints reveal its original format. Each has an end chimney stack and both date to the early 18th century over a probably earlier cellar.

Rough Beech, Dowlands Lane, Burstow

Appraisal by M Higgins of SCC to inform Listed Building Consent proposals. Constructed in three main phases, the first phase is a 2½ bay, timber-framed, end smoke-bay house of suggested late 16th century date. A large timber-framed bay with a chimney was added to the south end in the late 17th century, possibly with an outshot on the west side. A third, 18th century phase saw a face wing with outshot added to the south-west possibly with masonry on the ground floor under a timber-framed first floor replacing the outshot of the previous phase.

Friars, Pains Hill, Limpsfield

Historic building assessment by M Higgins of SCC of a timber-framed open-hall house of four bays. Of a standard tripartite plan of a parlour, two-bay hall and service bay, it includes an ‘upper-end’ end-jetty, long passing braces, ground floor braces and evidence of a dais spere – a short screen, normally by a door, to prevent draughts. To this a further bay was added at the ‘lower’, downhill end. The house probably dates from the second quarter of the 1400s. The added bay is probably 17th century in date.


Subscribe to RSS - Surrey County Council