Watching brief by S Nelson of EEHAS during groundworks for a rear extension revealed a small patch of rammed chalk surface possibly associated with an earlier building, known from cartographic evidence
Epsom & Ewell History and Archaeology Society
Excavation and watching brief by N Cowlard of EEHAS revealed a wall trench or robbed foundation that produced material of 18th century date and that may relate to an earlier building demolished in the early 19th century.
A second season of excavation by The Church Meadow Project, supported by SyAS and EEHAS and directed by N Cowlard, re-opened the 2012 trench and extended it by a further 30m. Plough damage had removed almost all features above Roman ground level although a previously encountered large pit was found to cut the remains of two Roman wells. The earlier well was roughly square with the shadow of a plank lining and a wooden cask incorporated into its construction, and was cut by the later well. An associated, substantial flint-lined pit or posthole may have supported a windlass.
Excavation by S Nelson and D Hartley of EEHAS. The remains of some of the buildings associated with the gunpowder mills that operated along this upper reach of the Hogsmill river during the 18th and 19th centuries, until the mills closed in c1875, were revealed. Work took place in the area of the Corning House and Mills buildings shown on the 1866 OS map. A plan of 1863 notes those furthest downstream as the Incorporating Mills. Recording concentrated on the Incorporating Mills site where works exposed stretches of brickwork in the left bank of the river.
Second season of excavation led by H Sheldon of BC and J Cotton of EEHAS, on an area of higher ground overlooking the Roman settlement of Ewell and Stane Street and where traces of Roman activity were located in the 1970s. Four trenches were opened in a line running north–south between those excavated in 2006.