Evaluation by S Bush and Adam Howard of COT revealed two undated linear features.
Evaluation and subsequent excavation of four areas by S Wilson of COT. Evidence was revealed for a small rural settlement dating from the Middle–Late Iron Age that comprised at least two roundhouses with associated four-post structures. The site appeared to be unenclosed but ditches and trackways suggest that it was sited in a managed landscape. Charred plant assemblages indicate a rural settlement with domestic activities, including a small amount of crop processing taking place in the vicinity.
Two phases of archaeological evaluation by J Clutterbuck of COT. No finds, features or deposits of archaeological significance were found pre-dating the modern era. Some linear features were identified, likely to be modern ditches associated with military training activities.
Evaluation and monitoring by R Kennedy of COT revealed a gully of probable post-medieval date but no further finds or features of archaeological interest.
An archaeological watching brief by A Howard of COT revealed no features or deposits of archaeological interest. (Report 16601)
Evaluation by J Whelan of COT, following a largely negative ground penetrating radar survey by D Bunn of Pre-construct Geophysics Ltd, revealed two pits that produced pottery dating from the Middle to Late Bronze Age and a dispersed series of ditches that corresponded with the geophysical survey results and cartographic evidence of post-medieval field boundaries or, in one instance, a modern linear bank.
Evaluation by M Nichol of COT revealed no finds or features of archaeological interest. A high water table was identified that may have made the site prone to flooding and unsuitable for settlement or agricultural activities.
Historic building recording by P Davenport of COT ahead of partial demolition revealed the mid-19th century origins of the school and recorded four main phases of development between c 1860 and 1958. Some of these developments were most probably undertaken in response to the introduction of various Education Acts; in particular the 1880 Act that saw the school almost double in size soon after its introduction, and the 1944 Act that might have prompted the further increase in size by the addition of extra classrooms soon after that date.
Soil stripping, mapping and sample exercise by J Wright of COT revealed three features, all of which contained charcoal. Two contained oak and the third contained alder/hazel fragments, burnt at a high temperature and exhibiting evidence of probable in-situ heating/burning, and probably represent the remains of burnt tree stumps associated with woodland clearance. Radiocarbon dating of the alder/hazel suggests such clearance occurred in the Late Bronze Age or Early Iron Age.
An Archaeological Evaluation was undertaken by Cotswold Archaeology at Kingswood Warren, Kingswood, Surrey. Thirty-two trenches were excavated. The earliest finds consisted of two pieces of unstratified worked flint. However, no other prehistoric artefacts or associated features were identified. The footings of garden buildings of probable late 19th-century date were revealed in trenches to the west and south of the existing Kingswood Warren house. To the east of the house evidence for probably modern woodland planting was also recorded.