Watching brief by C Currie of CKCA during conversion of farm buildings to residential use, following on from a standing building survey in 2001. No finds or features of archaeological interest were revealed. A possible moated site appears on the Sites and Monuments Record just to the north-east of the farm. A number of water-filled hollows indicative of quarrying were noted in this area, but no evidence for a moat was forthcoming, suggesting the feature may be a result of antiquarian conjecture.
Watching brief by C Currie of CKCA during the excavations for a lift shaft revealed possible evidence for the foundation wall of either 16th or 18th century houses, both formerly on the site, and a drainage channel. The investigation was however too limited in scale to provide conclusive dating evidence for any features.
Investigative test pitting by C Currie of CKCA to obtain information about the construction of the lock behind the early 20th century concrete facing, in advance of restoration works by the NT. Documentary evidence suggested the concrete facing covered a timber structure, although it was thought that the record was incomplete and the sides of the lock were actually of brick. The test pits revealed substantial timber braces and no evidence for brick remains, indicating that the documentary sources were indeed correct.
Evaluation by C Currie of CKCA revealed the foundations of a structure present on a 1736 map, among much truncation. Two pits found underneath the site of this structure did not contain any artefacts to allow them to be dated. A subsequent watching brief confirmed that the site had been considerably truncated. However, fragmentary foundations of other structures were revealed, and together with new documentary material, this helped to clarify the development of a farm that had existed on the site from the 18th century.
Evaluation and building recording by C Currie of CKCA. No finds or features of archaeological interest were noted during the evaluation work, with the majority of the site having been terraced previously. Recording work concentrated on a locally listed barn built in the second half of the 19th century, which was found to be of an unusual type, showing influences possibly indicative of new construction methods inspired by industrial techniques rather than rural tradition
Watching brief by C Currie of CKCA during the breaching of the dams and draining of Rowe’s Flash and Phillimore Lakes. The remains of a suspected medieval timber revetment were revealed at Phillimore Lake, although the timbers proved unsuitable for dendrochronological analyses. The feature is probably related to the former millpond, which was enlarged in the 19th century to create the lake. Rowe’s Flash Lake was also created at this time, with the 19th century dams of both features revealed to be of relatively poor standards of construction.
Watching brief by C Currie of CKCA during the breaching of the dam of Phillimore Lake found evidence for what is thought to have been the rare survival of a timber revetment facing the medieval mill dam. The timbers were sampled for dendrochronological dating. In the 1880s the Phillimore Lake dam had been rebuilt and enlarged to create a much larger lake, and the rebuilt dam was about 1.8m higher than the original and had a thin clay core. A few years later, in 1896, a second lake was created at Rowe’s Flash, and draining of this revealed a similar dam with a thin clay core.