Watching brief by T Munnery of SCAU during the excavations for a water pipeline. No finds or features of archaeological interest were revealed. A metal detector survey carried out simultaneously along the pipeline route recovered fragments of metalwork associated with the site of a German Junkers 88 aircraft, which was shot down and crashed nearby in April 1941. The actual site of the crash was, however, some distance from the pipeline route.
Watching brief by T Collie of ASE during the alteration and extension of the church hall. Two brick vaults were uncovered, one of which when investigated was found to contain coffin fragments but no identifiable human remains. The other could only be examined cursorily owing to its proximity to the church structure, although it was noted to be filled with broken tombstone fragments, which were largely left in situ. A single articulated skeleton was also revealed, together with a quantity of disarticulated human bone across the development area.
Evaluation by C Clarke of AOC revealed no finds or features of archaeological interest on a site that had been very heavily horizontally truncated, probably in the mid-20th century.
Watching brief by A Monk of SyAS (undertaken in 2006 and since reported) during church extension and alteration works. Fragmentary evidence for the earlier medieval church was noted, although this was not extensive, and the rebuilding works of 1840–6 appear to have largely removed or buried the medieval building
Historic landscape survey by P Jones of SCAU, undertaken as part of the SCC/SyAS ASHLV assessment project. A number of features and potential areas of interest were recorded, including a possible Mesolithic flint-knapping scatter, a number of lime kilns and pond bays. Accompanying assessment of the tithe maps also provided place-name evidence for a number of potential kiln sites.
Watching brief by T Howe of SCC, on behalf of Surrey Police, following the discovery of human remains at the site during refurbishment works. The partial remains of two individuals were recovered. Although evidence for post-inhumation disturbance was clear as the remains were commingled within an obvious later feature, no firm dating evidence was noted. It was apparent, however, that the remains were of an archaeological nature rather than of interest to the police. It was thought that they may have been burials displaced during the construction of the property and reburied at the time.
Watching brief by D Platt of TVAS revealed no finds or features of archaeological interest.
Watching brief by D Whittaker of ASE revealed no finds or features of archaeological interest
Watching brief by D Graham of SyAS during refurbishment works. The site falls immediately inside the projected course of the medieval town ditch, with groundworks proposed in the area that may once have been the location for the postulated associated internal bank. No finds or features of archaeological interest were revealed.
Watching brief and resistivity survey by D Graham of SyAS during topsoil removal to create additional car parking spaces. The site lies outside the area of the former (now filled in) inner bailey ditch, and no features were detected. A number of finds were recovered during the topsoil removal, however, including a number of musket and pistol balls, and three powder caps from gunpowder flasks. An incursion of parliamentary forces into the castle courtyard occurred on 26 November 1642, with the royalist garrison surrendering as a result.