Local Secretaries' Newsletter Feb 2008

No 3, February 2008

RECENT LOCAL SECRETARIES' MEETING

Many thanks to everybody who attended the last meeting on 10th November, our fourth.  There is a note on this below.

It is planned to have two meetings of the LS each year at different "ends" of the County. The next meeting is planned for June 2008; details to follow. Chris.

THIS NEWSLETTER

Contents

  • Note of 10th November 2007 in Dorking Hall.
  • Points to note for Local Secretaries
  • New Local Secretaries and vacancies
  • Planning applications on Council web-sites
  • CBA membership
  • Heritage cemeteries preservation
  • AGM
  • Have your say about the Society
  • Portable Antiquities Scheme
  • Set-Aside
  • Important points to watch re a "Watching Brief"
  • CBA-the important launch of Archlib
  • SCC Heritage Team contact details
  • Diary
  • The Role of Local Secretaries
  • Groups and Committees of the Society
  • SyAS contact numbers and officers etc
  • Groups and Committees' contact numbers
  • List of Local Secretaries with contact details
  • Flier lecture "Goodbye Surrey? Does anybody care about our Heritage?"
  • Hatch Furlong training excavation (and other courses)
  • Flier Medieval & Village Studies meeting "Bagshot".

My contact details are:

Chris Taylor, Telephone: email: chrisjw.taylor@zen.co.uk     14, The Chase Coulsdon, Surrey, CR5 2EG 

 

NOTES OF MEETING - 10 NOVEMBER 2007 DORKING

Giles Carey, SCC's Exploring Surrey's Past Project Officer, gave an demonstration of the Exploring Surrey's Past web site: www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk to show its capabilities for searching the HER.

Key Home page searches are "Near you" and "Find out".

"Near you" requires you to enter a post code and then provides an aerial map of 2 kilometres around this with HER records plotted on it, with back up detail.

"Find out" enables searches of particular places or finds. Interested in Surrey axes? Then a way in is to enter axe into the search box and choose "museum" or "archaeology" as refinements to the search and further refine for "AXE TOOL" or "AXE WEAPON" and listings are provided with mapped locations and HER details.

On a general note, Surrey History Centre is making available some of its key archive resources. The collections catalogue and archives index, already available online, will be incorporated into the site which will give access to the full text of over 95% of the catalogue collections based at the History Centre. In addition, the databases of a number of special collections will be available, such as the Robert Barclay index of Surrey Illustrations, the index of Library Maps and Journals.

A number of partnership museums are also involved. Currently, this includes East Surrey Museum, the Rural Life Centre, Godalming Museum, Bourne Hall Museum and the Lightbox. Some are making available their whole accession catalogues, whereas others are selecting certain aspects of their collections to make available online.

ESP will therefore give access to about 330,000 records and it is expected that this resource will grow through the lifetime of the project. Both simple and advanced searching allows advanced interrogation of these databases. There is also a postcode searching option, which will allows users to search for any sites from the HER within a surrounding radius of their postcode.

After the demonstration the practical way in which the HER reporting should work was discussed. The key point is to have an agreed framework to report "finds". An example was given by Peter Finch of architectural stonework he discovered which he had to chase through a labyrinthine path to get recognised and eventually opined on. At present it is advised that we should initially report such finds to Castle Arch who will pass them on.

In regard to the above a future meeting with SCC in March was discussed, to be organised by Chris Taylor.

If you would like to know more please contact Giles Carey at giles.carey@surreycc.gov.uk or on 01483 518730.

 


POINTS TO NOTE FOR LOCAL SECRETARIES

List of Local Secretaries

I am presently working on the list of LS that appears near the back of this newsletter to ensure it up to date and vacancies are "advertised" etc. This is presently an on-going project. Please see the list of vacancies on the following page.

Flyers for distribution

2,000 flyers for the "Goodbye Surrey" lecture by Dr. Simon Thurley, CE English Heritage, have been printed. (See flier later in this newsletter). It is hoped that Local Secretaries can place some of these at their local community focal points-e.g., libraries etc, to help publicise this event. Flier details will be forthcoming in the near future. In the meantime, please contact me regarding flier stock.

Specialisms

It would be very useful to have a list of Local Secretaries' interests/specialisms. This would allow new members to be put in touch with those who have similar interests. It would also enable us to bring our expertise to bear on any particular problem/issue/ building in a concerted and networked way.

LS connections to SCC

Would Local Secretaries have any objection if local Councils were provided with contact details of "their" SyAS Local Secretary. It would be appreciated if you would let me have your thoughts on this.

 

NEW LOCAL SECRETARIES AND VACANCIES
  • Rose Hooker has taken on the post of Group Secretary for the CBA SE, in place of Tony Sowerbutts. Rose is continuing as Local Secretary for Horley but has decided to relinquish Ockley.
  • Richard and Pamela Savage have said that, despite heavy commitments with SyAS and DBRG (and the rest!), they will be jointly taking on the Local Secretary position for Woking, an area they are researching. Welcome both!

Vacancies:

Elmbridge:           Walton & Weybridge Epsom & Ewell

Guildford:            Albury & Shere

Artington & Peasmarsh

Merrow, Burpham, Stoke & Stoughton Tongham, Puttenham & Wanborough

Mole Valley:        Dorking, Brockham, Mickleham & Milton Abinger & Wotton

Betchworth, Buckland, Headley & Leigh Capel, Holmwood & Ockley

Runnymede:         Egham & Thorpe

Surrey Heath Bagshot, Bisley, Chobham & Windlesham Tandridge                             Lingfield, Crowhurst & Feldbridge

Waverley              Dockenfield, Elstead, Frensham, Peper Harow, Thursley & Tilford Milford & Whitley

London Boroughs: 

Kingston Upon Thames

Richmond Upon Thames

Sutton & Cheam

Wandsworth

 

Any volunteers? If you are able to take on one of the above please contact me (details front page). Or you may know someone who I could contact.

 

PLANNING APPLICATIONS - CHECKING COUNCIL WEBSITES

The "Planning" portal of each Borough's web site (e.g., www.waverley.gov.uk/planning) is an excellent place to find out what developments are taking place and thus identify approaching risk to archaeological/historical sites.

 

EVER THOUGHT OF BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL FOR BRITISH ARCHAEOLOGY SOUTH EAST?

The CBA is a country wide network of individuals, national and regional organisations. All members share a deep interest and concern for archaeology and the historic environment in general. CBA does much work from its main office in York (have a look at http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ ) but it also has regional groups like CBA South East.

For just £5 you can become a member of CBA SE and: -

  • Help us to focus the minds of local and national decision-makers on decision on history and archaeology in South East England.
  • Attend, at a discounted price, our popular annual conferences.
  • Receive our twice yearly 20 page newsletter on archaeology and events and courses across Surrey, Sussex and Kent.
  • Promote research and knowledge in the South East through CBA SE grants to a wide range of individuals and societies (over £9,000 provided in 2003-6) engaged in archaeological and historical research. And apply for one yourself, of course!
  • Ensure that in our region sites and buildings of archaeological and historical interest and value are adequately protected.
  • Encourage local and national authorities to channel sufficient funds into our museums and archaeological services.

Please contact the Group Secretary, Rose Hooker on rosemary.hooker@btinternet.com

 

HERITAGE CEMETERIES PRESERVATION

Peter Youngs has kindly brought the article below to notice.

It is taken from Heritage Link Update 126 - an electronic wide-ranging newsletter that John Price forwards to various people. 'CABE' (Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment) is the government's advisor on architecture, urban design and public space.

The identification of any pre-1914 cemeteries (i.e. 'stand alone' cemeteries as opposed to churchyard burial grounds) that may be at risk is needed. The implication is that these cemeteries are only in towns - but are there rural ones as well? There is a web-site for a Living Churchyards and Cemeteries project, but this is concerned with them as wildlife sanctuaries rather than any historic interest.

CABE: crisis for British cemeteries? Urban burial grounds in the 19th century were originally envisaged as public open spaces, and were professionally designed to be at­tractive places to visit in their own right. They were regarded as much as public land­scapes as they were functional burial places but this close relationship between the cemetery and the park has largely disappeared. CABE, in a rare historical moment, recognises their contemporary value, argues that cemeteries may still deliver as many amenity and ecological benefits as parks, and suggests that they should be brought back into the mainstream of parks and green space provision.

'The heritage conservation movement has also identified historic cemeteries as places of specific local heritage interest, as well as being very much a part of the historic townscape. The placemaking or local identity properties of churchyards and cemeteries are especially valued.' CABE's Briefing also cites the Living Churchyards project which shows how churchyards and cemeteries are increasingly valued for their bio­diversity value.

There are about 3,500 historic (pre-1914) cemeteries in the UK. CABE recommends national and local cemetery strategies. Urban Burial Grounds also explains their legal status, health and safety. It lists relevant reports and documents, sources of funding as well as Green Flag and other related incentives. A pdf can be downloaded from: http://www.cabe.org.uk/AssetLibrary

 

BRIEF NOTES ON TOPICS AT AGM

The following is a brief summary of the main points covered in the President's address at the AGM on 25th November last year:
  • It looks as if the Society will be able to renew its lease of Castle Arch on favour­able terms, possibily with more space being available.
  • A small group, chaired by Alan Bott, has been set up to review the workings of the Society and will report in March 2008. Comments to the Group are wel­comed and more details on this are included within this newsletter.
  • The Bulletin is going to be upgraded by the use of colour and better grade paper and issued 6 times a year to offset the extra costs.
  • A new and sophisticated website is being worked on which will provide an alter­native source of information on the Society's activities. A website manager is needed-any volunteers?
  • The Society has started to acquire "high-tech" equipment which will enable sur­veys to be undertaken in-house. The first acquisition is a Geoscan fluxgate gradi­ometer.

 

HAVE YOUR SAY ABOUT THE SOCIETY

As you will no doubt already know, David Graham has instituted an examination of the way the Society is run. The following sets this main ideas behind this for your reference.

As part of the five year Rolling Strategy a small ad hoc group of members, consisting of those with knowledge of the workings of the Society and those with experience of running outside organisations has recently been set up by the President to:

  • 1. examine the structure, function and workings of the Committees and Groups of the Society and in particular that of Council.
  • 2. examine the system of administration and staff responsibilities with particular em­phasis on reducing the current workload on the Hon. Officers.
  • 3. make proposals for changes to be put before the Council of the Society.

The Group consists of six members under the Chairmanship of Alan Bott and, in carry­ing out the brief, will consult with the Chairmen of Committees, the Hon Treasurer, the Hon Librarian and members of staff. The Group would also welcome suggestions from any member of the Society.

If you would like to comment on any aspect of the Society, please email or write to David Calow at dm.calow@ntlworld.com 14 Beech Lane, Guildford, GU2 4ES no later than mid February 2008.


 

PORTABLE ANTIQUITIES SCHEME FUNDING PROBLEMS

The Museums, Libraries and Archives Council (MLA), is having its funding reduced and as a consequence the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) funding has been effec­tively cut (allowing for inflation) PAS central office is at the British Museum which maintains a national database.

So far, after 10 years, more than 300,000 finds have been recorded and, with over 250,000 users of the national database and 80 million hits a year, it is being used by researchers all over the World.

A very strong campaign has been launched to save the current activity levels of the PAS, the main thrust being an Early Day Motion (566) already supported by 68 MPs and an online petition (the petition closed 13 February).

The EDM, verbatim, is as follows:

" EDM 566 PORTABLE ANTIQUITIES SCHEME 12.12.2007. Loughton, Tim That this House recognises the great contribution of the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) to transforming the archaeological map of Britain by proactively recording ar­chaeological finds made by the public; celebrates the fact that in 10 years the scheme has recorded on its public database more than 300,000 archaeological finds, which

would not have otherwise been reported, for the benefit of all; expresses concern at the likely impact of funding cuts proposed for the Museums, Libraries and Archives Coun­cil (MLA), following the recent Comprehensive Spending Review, on the PAS; and urges the Government to ensure that the scheme is at least able to maintain its current levels of activity and to consider urgently whether MLA offers the best home for the PAS or whether another body, such as the British Museum, would not be better placed to provide PAS with a long-term sustainable future. "

(An Early Day Motion is a colloquial term for a notice given by a Member of the House of Commons for which no date has been fixed for debate. An EDM has a date tabled, a number and the name of its primary sponsor attached to it. )

The effect of the cut in funding may be that the PAS would have to loose staff and close its central unit and terminate the national database. A regionally managed scheme which a lot of people regard as an inferior alternative may be the alternative.

The latest position is that discussion between the DCMS, the PAS and the BM are presently in progress.

 

THE EFFECT OF SET-ASIDE CHANGES

In 2007 Mariann Fischer Boel, Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development, announced her intention to submit to the Commission a proposal to set at 0 % the obligatory set-aside rate for autumn 2007 and spring 2008 sowings. The EU's justification given for this decision rests on concern for the low availability of cereals on the market which could result in increasing food prices.

Set-aside was introduced in 1992 with the aim of taking land out of production to reduce the EU's infamous grain mountains.

Defra has now announced (end of January this year) the first results from monitoring the impact of 0 per cent set-aside rate.

The amount of farm land left uncropped is likely to fall by more than 50 per cent in 2008, results of a study suggest.

These results are the first major piece of evidence on farmers' planting decisions and intentions for 2008 and beyond and comes from an extension to the long-running sur­vey.

The results also indicate that around 70 per cent of farms which still retain some ‘set-aside' do not plan to make further reductions in 2009; 19 per cent do plan to make fur­ther reductions and the remaining 11 per cent are uncertain.

This may give us a good heads up of the possible effects on archaeological sites or at least on possible archaeological sites.

Web-site reference: http://www.defra. gov.uk/news/2008

 

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE A "WATCHING BRIEF"

Before undertaking a watching brief there are various points we all need to remember to follow, please:-

  • Those representing the Society in a watching brief need, beforehand, to have consulted fully with Tony Howe or Gary Jackson of the SCC - please see con­tacts list herewith. Full details should be supplied to Tony or Gary of what work is being planned.
  • David Calow must be contacted in advance of any attendance or work in order to pre-arrange insurances.
  • Permission to undertake the brief will be needed specifically from the owner of the plot or plots of land that are the subject of the brief and the acting developer (if applicable). Disclosure of what is recorded should be discussed with the owner etc before publication of any sort.
  • The historical, archaeological or geological background of the subject should best be researched first so as to know what to look for.
  • Recording can be by way of a note, photographs, sketches or on the spot draw­ing, scale plans etc, or of course, any combination of these, incorporating rele­vant background details previously researched.

 

CBA-Launch of ArchLib -important new information resource

Dan Hull, of the CBA, SE has kindly provided a note that follows, on the launch of a new electronic library for archaeology.

Launch of a new electronic library for archaeology http://archlib.britarch.net

The Council for British Archaeology and the Society of Antiquaries of London have recently launched a new online library of publications for archaeology called ‘ArchLib'. This new, not-for-profit service provides access to material from a consor­tium of archaeological publishers, offering researchers a range of publications through one easy interface. Initially comprising journal papers and books from eight different publishers, the CBA and SAL will be expanding ArchLib to include a greater range and number of publications shortly.

To get to ArchLib, either go to the CBA website www.britarch.ac.uk and look for the link that says ‘ArchLib', or go directly to: http://archlib.britarch.net. Once you are on the site, you can enter a term, keyword or author's name in the search box and you will receive results from over 2000 pages of material. Searching for the term ‘Roman fort' for example, provides access to 20 articles from five different publishers. You can then browse through these results, view the opening page of a publication to check it is what you need, then go ahead and buy it. You will then receive a PDF file which can be immediately downloaded and kept, either to be read there and then, printed out, or stored on your computer for future reference.

The idea behind ArchLib is to make available as much literature about British archae­ology as possible to a worldwide audience. The development of online search facilities like Google, coupled with the rapid rise in familiarity with internet technology, have meant that more and more professional archaeologists, students and independent ar­chaeologists expect to be able to carry out their research straight from their own com­puter. Some journals and book publishers have been quick to take advantage of this shift in expectations, while others have found it more difficult - for financial or techni­cal reasons - to ‘get online'. ArchLib has been developed for archaeological society publishers wishing to sell their articles online with the minimum of difficulty or finan­cial risk. It has great advantages for the researcher too, as they can search for and ob­tain material from all over the UK within one easy website.

ArchLib is a fast-developing resource, so do take a look, and keep checking back to see what material has been added. Also, if you know of any archaeological publishers who might be interested in joining the service, please encourage them to contact Dr Dan Hull on archlib@britarch.ac.uk.

Dr Dan Hull

Head of Information & Communications Council for British Archaeology5

 

DIARY

Contact details for the Group concerned are on following pages.

February

21 st Thursday DBRG Workshop Series meeting. Variations in timber-framed buildings in Surrey. Martin Higgins speaker. 19.30.

23rd Saturday-SyAS ARC Annual Symposium at Ashtead Peace Memorial Hall, Woodfield Lane, Ashtead. 10.00-17.00.

March

4th Tuesday SIHG Lecture Series, Mills of the Muslim World, by Michael Harverson.

8th Saturday - Medieval Studies Forum & Village Studies Group Joint Meeting on "Bagshot" at The Archaeology Centre, 4-10 London Road, Bagshot, GU19 5HN. 9.30-16.15. See flier later in this newsletter for details and booking information.

11th Tuesday-Roman Studies Group. A report back session on projects concerned with roads. Dork­ing Christian Centre 19.30.

15th Saturday -Meeting of the Prehistoric Group-Julie Wileman will be giving a talk about her PhD work, basically on Bronze Age warfare. Venue: The Granary, South Park, Bletchingley at 14.30. For further details contact Rose Hooker. Numbers limited.

20th Thursday-DBRG Workshop Series meeting. Surrey probate inventories 1558-1603. Speaker Brigid Fice. 19.30.

April

19th Saturday-AGM DBRG. Wanborough Village Hall, 1 1am.

21-25 week-Training excavation at Hatch Furlong Ewell. (Week 1-see May for week 2). See flier later in this newsletter for details and booking information.

28-2 May-Second week of training excavation at Hatch Furlong Ewell-see note on week 1 above.

May

31 st Saturday- Roman Studies Group meeting-Aqua Britannica, Day Conference on Water in Roman Britain. Chaired by Professor Mike Fulford at Chertsey Hall, Chertsey. 10.00-16.45.

June

Xxth-Meeting of Local Secretaries-date to be announced!

14th Saturday-Medieval Studies Forum meeting at St Mary's, Guildford. Contact Richard & Pamela Savage to confirm nearer to date.

20th Friday-Goodbye to Surrey? Does anyone care about our heritage? An illustrated lecture by Dr Simon Thurley, CE English Heritage. Menuhin Hall, Stoke D'Abernon at 7.45pm. See flier later in this newsletter for details and booking information.

July

Date in July to be confirmed-Surrey Local History Committee. Summer Meeting.

Week 12th-20th CBA National Archaeology Week. For information and a registration form see www.britarch.ac.uk/naw and return completed form by 28/3/08 to naw@britarch ac uk or to CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York, YO23 1ED.

October

25th Surrey Local History Committee. Annual Symposium on Surrey and the First World War. At Chertsey. Details of programme to follow.

 

ROLE OF LOCAL SECRETARIES

Examples of what a LS may get involved with from time to time!

In essence the LS role is seen as being a link between the Society and local archaeology and history. Examples might be:

  • Promoting the Society locally, especially in attracting new members. The main examples are: requests for information about the Society, excavations and lectures and requests for membership application forms.
  • Liaison with local community groups and other societies to help the process of identifying and protecting archaeological and historical heritage. This might involve working with the Historic Buildings Conservation Committee and local councils regarding local planning and listed buildings applications. (Please see section below on SCC changes at County Hall and locally.)
  • To make contact with new members and give an informal introduction to the Society's working Groups etc using the "Welcome-pack".
  • Acting as a first point of call to new members to help them "get into" the Society and to note any special skills which they may wish to offer for the SyAS benefit.
  • Noting projects such as the Community Archaeology Landscape survey projects and the Villages Study project (formerly the Society's Millennium Project) and finding out what interest there is so as to involve new volunteers.
  • Keeping watch on any archaeological sites in the local area and report any damage, e.g. disturbance by treasure hunters or vandals, to Castle Arch.
  • Occasionally to deliver the Collections to local members.
  • Occasionally to help in organising local events and to publicise Society events by taking advertising leaflets/posters into local libraries, etc.
  • Letting the Society's Assistant Librarian know of any new local publications of interest to the Society that the Library might acquire.
  • Thinking up ideas for retaining existing members and attracting new ones.
  • When summarised it adds up to an important role to the Society!

 

GROUPS OF THE SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

For contact names and numbers please see following pages.

Artefacts and Archives Research Group (AARG)

assists in the processing of artefacts and site archives from unpublished excavations by the Society or others. The work involves recording, measuring, quantifying and drawing artefacts as well as collating the paper-based archive, for eventual deposition at an appropriate museum. All are welcome whether experienced or not.

North Downs Plateau Archaeological Research Group (Plateau)

focuses on research into the archaeology of the North Downs, east of the River Mole. The Group's activities include discussion meetings, excavations, field walking, finds processing and guided walks. Fortnightly evening meetings are held in Banstead with fieldwork at weekends.

Guildford Archaeology and Local History Group

acts as a focus group for members and others in the Guildford area. A small programme of lectures, informal outings and field trips is arranged and there is a small annual fee.

Roman Studies Group

encourages and promotes study of the Roman period in Surrey. Activities include excavations and fieldwork, research and lectures. Monthly lecture meetings are held in Dorking throughout the autumn and winter and regular project meetings throughout the year in Ewell. Membership is open to all with a small annual fee to cover costs. David Calow and Alan Hall are planning to carry out fieldwork on the possible line of a London-Winchester road in the Farnham-Guildford area. Visits are being planned to the Barcombe villa (Sussex) excavations and to Bath. Plans are well advanced for a winter lecture season.

Surrey Industrial History Group (SIHG)

promotes interest in Surrey's industrial history. It organises a winter lecture series on all aspects of the industrial history. Activities include lectures, outings, research, recording and restoration projects, publications and conferences. Reduced fee for Society members. Membership is not restricted to Society members, but they pay a small, reduced annual fee for membership of SIHG.

Surrey Prehistoric Group

is concerned with the study of prehistory in Surrey. Its activities include research, excavations, field walking and acting as a liaison group for people carryout out their own research. Occasional Group meetings are held in Dorking.

Village Studies Group

The Society's village studies project aims to encourage study of the historical geography of Surrey villages to bring together the diverse strands of the Society's broad range of interests. The Group aims to publish a series of Village Studies based on a series of retrogressive maps charting the changing patterns of settlement.

Drafting of the reports on Gomshall & Ewhurst continues, with a view to publication late in 2008; publication of the report on Old Woking has been deferred until 2009. The next meeting of the group will be the joint meeting with the Medieval Studies Forum on 8th March at Bagshot.

Medieval Studies Forum

This is a fairly new group. The plan is to hold a series of monthly meetings to explore Surrey's medieval past. This is a forum for archaeologists and historians researching questions about Surrey's Medieval past, grown out of the SARF seminars and debates..

The first of the three full day meetings for 2008 will be held on 8th March at the Surrey Heath Archaeology Centre in Bagshot; this will be a joint meeting with the Villages Study Group and will feature presentations on Borderware, the development of Bagshot Park and Village and the HEATHHIST website and will include a guided tour of the village, including a visit to the sixteenth century medieval wall paintings at 44 High Street. The second meeting of the year is scheduled for 14th June at Guildford and will be based around matters ecclesiastical. Planning is at an early stage for a meeting in the autumn, probably at Reigate, which will concentrate on the development of Surrey towns. Discussions continue regarding an excavation or other fieldwork in the summer of 2008.

 

OTHER GROUPS

For contact names and numbers please see following pages.

Other Interest Groups supported by members of the Society but not formally part of it:

Domestic Buildings Research Group (Surrey) DBRG

The Group was formed to record timber-framed houses in Surrey and, to date has recorded approximately 4,000 houses. The Society and the DBRG working together obtained Heritage Lottery funding to undertake a pilot study to date more precisely some houses by dendrochronology. Annual membership fee.

Chilworth Gunpowder Mills Group

A local interest group including members of The Surrey Archaeological Society and its Industrial History Group with representatives of the local Parish Council and Guildford Borough Council, set up to promote further study and good management of the site including the conservation of remains balanced with wildlife and ecology. A group of volunteers (largely local residents) assist with clearance of damaging vegetation and controlled uncovering of building and infrastructure remains to aid recording and interpretation. The Group's activities include a presence at public Heritage open-days, occasional guided tours, and an annual open-evening including reports on progress for local residents (anyone interested can welcome to attend ).

Volunteers welcomed.


COMMITTEES OF THE SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

For contact names and numbers please see following pages.

Archaeological Research Committee (ARC)

acts as a forum for discussion of current research within the county and holds an annual Symposium covering recent and current archaeological research in the county. Anyone interested in fieldwork should contact Peter Harp.

Community Archaeology Committee (CAC)

organises partnership projects jointly funded with Surrey County Council identifying Areas of Special Historic Landscape Value by undertaking landscape surveys usually, but not necessarily, led by a professional archaeologist.

Events Committee

is responsible for arranging lectures, conferences, visits, guided walks and social events on behalf of the Society

Historic Buildings Committee

Formerly known as the Historic Buildings Conservation Committee. Generally interested in the study of all types of historic buildings and structures and seeks to promote greater research and study, including identification of historically important buildings and structures (whether or not listed) and promoting sensitivity and best practice in repair and conservation work, alterations and development proposals. Due to the very considerable number of properties affected by planning and listed building applications to local authorities, it is keen to encourage and support local members in making appropriate representations where proposals place buildings and structures at risk to loss or inappropriate changes. Guidance can be provided (it is intended to issue guidance information for this in due course).

Publications Committee

has overall responsibility for the Society's publications including the Collections, and other occasional publications

Surrey Local History Committee (SLHC)

promotes study of Surrey local history through events, conferences and publications. It holds an Annual Symposium devoted to a specific aspect of the history of Surrey at which Local Societies are invited to arrange displays and sell their own publications.

Grants Committee

Advises Council on applications to the Society for grants for archaeological or historical projects.

Library Committee overseas the work of the Library.

 

CONTACT NUMBERS

The Society's Library and HQ Castle Arch, Guildford, GU1 3SX Telephone/Fax: 01483-532454 email: info@surreyarchaeology.org.uk

NB Hours may need to be changed. If you wish to see a member of staff please ‘phone in advance. Society members can have access to the Library on Friday afternoons by application to the desk in the entrance of Guildford Museum; they will be required to show their library card.

HONORARY OFFICERS

President            KD Graham FSA             david.graham@clara.co.uk

Past Presidents

The Viscountess Hanworth, DL, FSA; DJ Turner BSC, FSA, FSAScot

Mr RF Muir; Professor AG Crocker, DSc, FInstP, CEng, FSA; Miss AJ Monk

Vice-Presidents

Dr. David Bird, J Cotton, Mrs GM Crocker, BA, FSA, Miss J English, Professor E Fernie, Mrs AC Graham, GP Moss, BSc, PhD, ARCS, AC Sargent, BA, FCA, PA Tar­plee, P Youngs BA

Hon. Secretary David Calow  dm.calow@ntlworld.com

Hon. Treasurer Alf Sargent, BA FCA

Hon. Editors Audrey Graham  david.graham@clara.co.uk; Stella Hill   stellahill@nutwood66.fsnet.co.uk; and John Pile

Bulletin Editor Phil Jones  crockpot@ukonline.co.uk

Hon. Librarian Rosemary Hughesdon

Legal Advisor AM Jackson

OTHER CONTACT NUMBERS

Portable Antiquities Scheme Finds Liaison Officer:

David Williams                                                             01737-247296           david.williams@surreycc/gov.uk

Surrey County Council

Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, GU21 6ND Heritage Manager:

Pat Reynolds                                    01483-518754

For the SCC Heritage team at Woking please see below

Countryside:

Mike Dawson (At County Hall)            020-8541-9404

Council for British Archaeology (CBA) Director:

Mike Heyworth         01904-671417

CBA-South-East Hon. Secretary:

Rose Hooker        rosemary.hooker@btinternet.com

Institute of Field Archaeologists Chief Executive

Peter Hinton        01183-786444           peter.hinton@archaeologists net

English Heritage-London Region and Head Office:

1 Waterhouse Square, 138-142 Holborn, London EClN 2ST 020-7973-3001

SE Region: Eastgate Court, High Street, Guildford 01483-252000